My first Chrome Extension

I wrote a Chrome Extension today. Or the start of one. Want to modify the content of some pages on Metafilter in order to try out a UI idea. I started with the diediedead userscript, that runs just fine by itself if you manually load it. But I want a proper Chrome extension so I can make it configurable (and easily usable) so I read up on how to build Chrome extensions. It’s easy, at least for this easy thing I’ve done so far, although there’s a lot more complexity for a more complex extension.

The one hassle is Chrome doesn’t auto-reload extensions under development. It does reload userscripts though, weird. Anyway the Chrome Extensions Reloader Extension helps, at least there’s a single button to press.