Success! lolslackbot

Big Success! My League of Legends Slackbot has had two major upgrades in the past two weeks. And both have gone quite well, with no serious bugs. I’m so, so glad I invested in a serious testing regimen. I’ve had automated tests for about a month and it is like night and day for development speed. Even on a small project, even working alone.

First, a quick description of the project. It’s a social monitor for League of Legends players. It watches the Riot API for games played by a select group of people. If someone plays a game, it reports the game result to Slack or Discord. A form of social presence. I built it first for a group of about 6 friends playing together and chatting via Slack. I’m now expanding it to a group of about 500 people on another Slack, which is what necessitated me evolving this from a quick hack to a real thing.

The first big change was 10 days ago. I added the notion of “groups”. Previously the list of players I was watching was hard-coded and I assumed everyone was interested in everyone. Now there’s Person and Group database tables and the game reporting is able to collect stats for all the people in a specific group. I still have a design flaw here I need to fix; currently doesn’t work if people from two different groups play the same game.

The second big change was today. I added message routing and delivery. Previously I had hardcoded a single Slack and Discord channel. Now I have Destinations, Subscriptions, and Messages tables so that the game results from various groups can be delivered to various different Slack and Discord channels. A lot of complexity, made doubly hard to test because the end result is actually writing messages people see on a live service. I ended up using unittest.mock for real to mock out the last bit of message delivery in various places.

I wish I’d thought to abstract out a Messages table earlier. Before I was just generating text messages from game objects, but then the game processing code got too deeply entwined with the message delivery code. Now I place create messages in the DB with one program and deliver them in a separate program. Much simpler.

Next major product feature I need to add is some sort of web interface for managing Groups, People, Subscriptions, etc. That sounds really tedious, but necessary. I think this is the step where I’ll graduate and use some higher level Python frameworks, maybe Flask for the webapp and SQLAlchemy to mediate database access. I don’t want to port all my old code over to SQLAlchemy just yet, but I would like to get my feet wet.

I should also productionize the python code. I’m not using virtualenv, my code isn’t even packaged in a proper module. Time to clean that up and add some logging, monitoring, etc.

May also be time to invest more in the test infrastructure. My automated tests are great but they rely on a test dataset I can’t really augment. I generated test data once and have no way to do it again. Also I’ve been running a separate test system for database migration scripts, much more manual and inspection by eye. I think that may be fine actually, but it’s worth examination.