Ubiquiti EdgeMAX EdgeOS router notes

I’m setting up a new Ubiquiti router, an EdgeRouter X SFP using firmware v1.9.7+hotfix.4. Some notes on doing this:

Out of the box the router only works on ethernet port 0 (eth0). It does not run DHCP. You have to manually configure a computer to talk to it on 192.168.1.1.

The router will redirect you to HTTPS when you connect. However they of course don’t have an SSL certificate for 192.168.1.1 so your browser will refuse to connect. You can override this in Chrome and Firefox by looking for “Advanced” mode on the error screen.

The first thing to do with a new Ubiquiti router is upgrade the firmware. The stock firmware is old and missing important features. (My memory is upgrading UniFi access points is also necessary, the shipping version had a crippling bug.)

Once you flash it the first thing to do is run the “Basic Setup” Wizard. (Note, this is not available in the shipping firmware.) This will set the router up to do What You Expect from a consumer router; NAT routing for eth0 (the WAN port) and DHCP for the rest. For a simple home network that is probably all you need to do.

1.9.7 and other versions have a bug where if you manually configure some static IP addresses along with DHCP, then dhcpd won’t start when you reboot the router. The fix for this is to remove all static entries. I was able to add one static entry later via the DHCP control panel and rebooting still works. Not sure if I can manually add an entry or not. This is all probably a bug in vyatta, their GUI config system.

DNS is not enabled for DHCP entries or static hosts. That’s a thing the dnsmasq used by many routers does for you. I can’t figure out how hard this would be to enable. The obvious wizard reportedly only adds your entries to /etc/hosts on the router itself which is not propagated by its DNS server. I didn’t try very hard.

UPnP is not enabled by default. You can add it via a feature wizard; internal is “switch0” and external is “eth0” (or whatever your WAN port is).

For my own notes, a network setup idiosyncratic to me, I added a static interface route to 192.168.1.0/24 going out eth0. Hoping to reach my invisible wireless ethernet bridge boxes on 192.168.1.110 and .111. No luck, but I think that may be because they’re configured to think the network is 192.168.0.0/23 and so can’t talk to my 192.168.3.* addresses. Oops.