My friend Brad and I launched Wanderings, a simple location tracker app for iPhone and Web. Put it on your phone and forget about it, come back a few weeks later to have a nice heatmap of where you’ve been. It was inspired by the late lamented OpenPaths. See also Google Timeline, which is much fancier but doesn’t have a heatmap.
I was inspired to start working on this while traveling in Berlin. I just want to know where I’ve been, you know? I don’t know anything about building iPhone apps but fortunately Brad does.
Some of the interesting stuff we use:
- iOS significant location change service
- CloudKit database for storage
- IndexedDB and Dexie for browser cache
- Mapbox GL JS heatmaps to visualize the data
We have lots of ideas for future features. Some particular ideas I’m excited to do:
- Import of data from other sources
- Some sort of time-based visualization
- Android app (not me!)
It’s a modest project but I’m proud of it.